Tuesday, August 2, 2011

What Goes Up Must Stay Up Pt. 2 - 10% Inspiration 90% Perspiration

According to the Book of James, 2:10, “Faith without work is dead". Now that you have finalized your career development plan, you must work your plan. Don't expect everything that you strategically developed in your plan to magically appear; this is real life not a magic show.  To be honest, creating the plan was the easy 10 percent,  now it’s time to roll-up your sleeves and implement the other 90 percent.

If you are feeling a little uneasy at this point, you are on the right track. Putting your plan in action will force you OUT of your comfort zone and put you into a space that you've never experienced. Embrace this feeling and use it as fuel to keep you going. Remember this is a marathon not a race.

Work your career development plan every single day, being mindful of the tasks you’ve completed and those on the horizon. Furthermore, don’t half-step on completing your to-dos.  If you have a goal to contact five people a day, contact those five people...not four or three.  For my overachievers out there, contact 10 people per day. There's nothing wrong with going beyond the call of duty. If you fall short of your tasks, take a step back to figure out how you can get back on track.  I still fall short of my tasks from time to time, and sometimes struggle with getting back on track. After a while, I figure out what I'm missing and what I need to do to get things moving.  I must admit my decision making process could be much faster, but hey we are all a work in progress :).

At the end of the day, you are responsible for your own career development so what you put into it is definitely what you will get out if it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment